Tuesday 14 August 2012

Sam Ovais - Synonym for Henna perfection


1. So let’s start by you telling a bit of how has henna designing influenced you and what is the history of you getting in this field?
I was inclined towards arts and crafts right from the beginning but coming from a family of doctors and engineers the artist in me was never really encouraged.  My paints etc. were taken away until I earned a BBA (Hons.) and MBA. The only thing allowed was a henna cone. So, my hands, arms, feet and sometimes legs were filled with Mehindi doodles almost all the time. After all, the entire artist in me needed to express. Back home, in Pakistan, I worked as Marketing Manager for a leading media group but the not-so-favorable-corporate-environment at KSA made me take this hobby seriously. Initially I did not expect the response that I enjoy today but Allah has been the kindest to me, I'd say.

2. How many years has it been you practicing this art?
The earliest memories are since I was 8 years old. I used to fill up my hands, arms, feet and even legs just to make patterns. I used to do henna on friends, relatives, friends of friends (brides especially), paper, glass, vases, mirror anything I could get hold of was filled with my Mehindi patterns. People used to relate Mehindi with me. I could never have enough of it.

3. Did you learn henna designing or this was merely passion and you started on your own?
 I have never ever had a formal training. It started as a passion turned into a hobby and practice polished it.

4. Over the years, how has the response related to fans?
People have always appreciated my work, ever since I started doodling with a henna cone, and that has always inspired and encouraged me to do better. It was only after I arrived at Saudi Arabia that I took this seriously and thought of taking it to another level. Allah has been kind.

5. I have seen you working and getting appreciated over the group and in person… How do you feel about that?
So far it hasn't got into my head. I still feel there's room for improvement. I feel humbled when people trust me to leave a pleasant stain that would last on their hands for days and memories for years to come. The real appreciation for my work is when the client leaves with a bright smile only to come back again.

6. Where would you like to see this designing talent of yours?

I never thought I would get such a warm response when I started it a year ago. As the logical next step, I'm already in collaboration with event management houses, wedding planning companies to present my art on a larger scale. Also, I plan to expand my portfolio to other cultural arts.
Further, I plan for Sam's to serve as an umbrella for other aspiring artists and thus I'm planning to conduct henna training classes in the near future. Art knows no boundaries; it should and would spread across continents, Inshallah.

Link:
Sam Ovais Facebook Group!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice interview with great responses from Sam Ovais. She truly is talented mashaAllah.

    ReplyDelete